Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Cirque du Soleil

I don't know what I expected when we got Cirque tickets. I've seen cirque acts on tv so I sort of knew the type of acts. I knew that it wasn't a Ringling Bros. type circus but I didn't know that it is a spectacular, beautiful story production that lasted 1 1/2 hours of breath taking scenes and heart stopping dance/gymnastics/music and amazing stage movement! I can't begin to describe how wonderful it all was!

When we arrived there were gracious people at every turn to point us in the right direction to our seats. They were dressed in wild hats and robes. This picture is one of those guys with the stage in the background with steam lit behind him. I only took a few pictures and put the camera away when it really started. I'd love to have taken hundreds of pictures but I didn't.

This is a picture of the wall around the audience. It went all the way around the room and there are pipes around what looks like rooms (enlarge the picture and maybe you can see what I'm talking about). At the beginning there were guys who came out of the wall and swung out on ropes and scaled the walls like spiderman. All during the production different ones would come out and shoot arrows at the stage (I think that was an illusion but it was GOOD) or beat drums or some other interesting thing.



This is the opening scene. I had to put the camera away after this so as not to distract people behind me. The entire stage came up out of the floor and was a ship with a full sail which, after a major battle, sank. The stage turned sideways several times during the production and the performers climbed or swung on ropes to peform. The entire thing was breathtakingly beautiful and moving. I thought of Clem often during the production because the rope work was so intricate and amazing and he did some work for Cirque (almost ran away to join the circus!) The rope work was spectacular!! Amazing!! I can't think of enough adjectives or adverbs to describe it all. Let me just say that I am so glad we went. It was a wonderful evening.

















No comments:

Post a Comment